Another Curry and Breaking "Da Rulez"


This one’s a seasonal curry this time.  I think I’ve made something from almost every one of Chef Michael Kiss’s cooking classes I’ve attended at the Old Town Whole Foods.  I like his food philosophy: “An onion is an onion.”  Using what’s available to you will create a unique dish with your personal touch.  Since I’m just about incapable of following a recipe to a tee (I have opinions about what I put in my mouth.  Strong opinions.)—or a tea—I like that advice.




Carnival Squash Green Curry
Modified from "Jamaican Coconut Curry Tofu" on the handout from "The Spice of Life with Your Cooking Coach, Michael Kiss."

1 carnival squash
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted

16 ounces light coconut milk
2 cups water
1 onion
3 cloves garlic

2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
1 bay leaf
1 cup green lentils, rinsed and sorted

1 cup kale
1 cup water

1 head savoy cabbage

Kosher salt to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line a baking sheet with foil.  Cut the squash in quarters and brush each quarter with a little coconut oil.  Place rind-side-down on the sheet and roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until tender.



While the squash is roasting, in a blender or food processor, blitz the coconut milk, 2 cups of water, onion, and garlic until uniformly combined and foamy.  Heat a large pot over medium heat.  Add the curry paste and toast for a minute.  Add the onion mixture, lentils, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes.

When the squash is tender, remove it from the oven, let it cool to a temperature where you can handle it, and then peel it.  Break it into the size chunks you desire and add it to the lentils (anytime during the lentil-simmering).



After the curry has simmered for 30 minutes, blitz kale and 1 cup water and add to the pot.  In a blender or food processor, shred the cabbage (if using a Vitamix, this is a “wet chop”).  Add the cabbage (drain if necessary).  Cook on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until cabbage is tender.  Taste and add salt to your preference.  Turn off the heat and serve.



I served mine with waaaayy-too-lightly toasted squash seeds and cornbread.  I learned how to toast them properly from this recipe.  I question whether the soaking actually does anything.  I know soaking helps break down phytic acid in grains, nuts, and seeds, making them more digestible, but I don’t think the soaking in the roasted pumpkinseed recipe helps with removing the squash innards.



The bread in the curry picture is Molasses-Caraway-Buckwheat-Black Bean Cornbread.  That’s what happened to my other can of black beans I was looking for this weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale