Tailspin

A video primer:




Laird Seanne let me christen the oven at the Abbey at Kilbride Croft. After having a dream where I debated myself about whether to make gingerbread or vanilla salted peanut cookies, I brought the ingredients to make this g-bread. Laird Seanne says that this bread is very good with real butter; I had a piece with Daiya mozzarella cheeze this morning. (And I made the cookies the next day.)

Gingerbread for the Journey
Modified from http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-gluten-free-vegan-gingerbread-recipes-from-the-kitchn-180402

2/3 cup millet flour
2/3 cup  teff flour
2/3 cup sorghum
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
dash allspice
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt

2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
6 tablespoons warm water
2/3 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
1/3 cup coconut oil, solid
1 cup pumpkin puree (may be partially frozen)

olive oil for the pan

In a medium container with a tight lid, place all the dry ingredients. Cover with lid and shake to combine.

In another lidded or screw-top container, combine all the wet ingredients. Seal and you are cleared for takeoff.

When you reach your destination, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use an oven thermometer to ensure accuracy. Grease an 8*4-inch loaf pan with olive oil.

Place the already combined dry ingredients in a large bowl.
In a small saucepan over medium heat pour the wet ingredients and stir, cooking until the oil has melted and the mixture has become slightly goopy. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well but quickly. Transfer to the pan, give the pan a firm side-tap to settle the contents. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out mostly clean and the top springs back when touched. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Then turn out to a rack and cool almost all the way before serving.



There's lots of thinking going on right now. So much so that sometimes I sit at stoplights until other drivers honk at me. There's also lots of driving in my life since I returned to Princelton (pronounced like "Tinseltown") last weekend. That chapter of my life is closed. I did not have a place there other than my student job and as "that vegan Goth chick who bakes stuff, does yoga, and is the public face of asexuality on campus." Returning to campus, I received back much of the negative energy I put out during my four years there in the form of a bent wheel and tire bubble as I was about to get the hell out of Dodge. Thank goodness for friends that I don't know because of school. I know them because of other friends. Little circular there.

It's the angst playlist tonight because we are being angsty-pants. This is OK; we are in a tailspin, we recognise this, but the throttle still works and we can--and are--turn[ing] this plane skywise. Accountability is where we begin.

Comments

  1. I looked at the Abbey at Kilbride Croft but I didn't see an oven, or indeed an Abbey. I saw the lady Neona picture (cool!)and was excited to learn there would be chickens.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale