Cherimoya Muffins

I just finished watching The Neon Demon, and I had the same squeamish feeling while attempting to eat a cherimoya as I have just now.  Spoiler alert: The Neon Demon involves human blood ingestion.

[caption id="attachment_5324" align="aligncenter" width="223"] I'm afraid of blood, but I write about vampires.[/caption]



TC got me two cherimoyas to try last week, and after letting them ripen to avocado-softness, I cut one open.

Its white guts have the texture of mushed banana, and the off-white flesh is cloyingly sweet, reminding me of some banana-flavoured ear infection medicine I had to choke down when I was four.  It's funny how those memories stick to your palate.  The cherimoya, otherwise known as the custard apple, is from South and Central America, and is also grown in Florida, California, and parts of the southern US.  The one I ate and cooked with may have been overripe, hence the nasty-sweetness, but much like overripe bananas, it worked well in muffins.

Originally, I intended to make these banana cookies, substituting the cherimoyas for the banana.  Given how putrid the cherimoya tasted to me plain, I didn't want to have any leftover, so I turned the cookies into muffins.



No ingredients changed from the recipe already on this blog, other than:

  • using about 1 1/2 cups ripe cherimoya flesh (no seeds) instead of the banana

  • adding 1 cup golden raisins

  • adding 1 cup walnut pieces

  • baking at 350 degrees Fahrenheit in a greased muffin tin for 28 minutes


For the most part, you can't taste the cherimoyas; they provide moisture and sweetness without nastiness.


Parting Shots


Besides posting about November's visit to Scotland on Cemetery Spelunking, I baked and cooked a lot of things instead of posting here.  I'm also working on licensing education for my job, so lower your post frequency expectations for the next two months, all five of you readers. :-p

I made blueberry pie, which I thought was sweet enough with 1/2 cup of sugar in the filling and out-of-season blueberries.

Grilling tofu on a Foreman grill or other countertop grill is the best: you can throw it in without pressing and get firm, hot tofu!



Beets in chilli: the only way vegans have gore with their food...



Moosewood chocolate cake: for how moist it is, I drank a rare plain glass of non-dairy milk.

New favourite way to eat pancakes: with plain (unsweetened) soyoghurt, maple syrup, chocolate chips, raisins, and peanut butter



Also good way to eat chocolate chip pancakes: maple syrup and soy nut butter



I also made cinnamon rolls from a Zojirushi recipe.  Despite the relatively "new" way of making cinnamon rolls in a bread machine, they were still as dry as my usual vegan and gluten-free cinnamon rolls.  Need a commercial GF mix to trap the escaping carbon dioxide!



Disturbingly close-up

Peanut butter cookies



Lest you think I do nothing but eat cookies all day, I got a pair of cross-country skis and have been practicing since Tuesday, in addition to my HIIT-yoga-resistance bands-kickboxing-walking mix.  Today TC and I went for a four-mile ski up the trail, and it was so warm outside, I just wore a t-shirt and pants without thermals.

[caption id="attachment_5347" align="aligncenter" width="225"] There are Salomon skis under that snow.[/caption]

And now you, too, can share in my The Dresden Dolls earworm.  "Say what you will/ I am the kill/ the only thing that keeps you relatively safe from being real..."

Save

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale