Grilled Leek Colcannon

Let's just say that I'm super-thankful I get to eat chocolate-banana protein smoothie with chocolate cereal for breakfast because I'm an adult and I can make my own choices.


I also saved a bunch of money on BLOG HOSTING! (I bet you thought I was going to say car insurance. Nope!)  I'm baaaaack with Blogger!  By transferring domain hosting and changing platforms, I'm back at the simpler space of Blogger.  Yes, this change broke every link and image in all almost 400 posts I've made since April 2011.  Yes, I just finished earlier this year finally reposting all of the 2012-2013 posts with pictures, heavily edited, and now I have to do all that over again.  It's all worth it, for saving twenty times what the hosting and platform change costs me now.


I realised I wasn't using all the features that Wordpress.org had to offer, and given how woefully few people read GG, it wasn't worth the pricetag.  But, hey, now I can say on my resume I have experience with Wordpress.org.  Blogging is not my full-time job, and I'm not going to treat it like one (I have other writing projects), therefore...it does not merit that kind of monetary investment.

Besides just not being as interested in food blogging as I was in 2011 (when I was barely writing poetry for school, and that was all), I have moved twice this summer and am attempting to get licensed to sell insurance.  Hence, little postage.  I'm still vegan and gluten-free though (and had my Gothiversary of ten years!  Woo!  I mean, *ethereal moan.*).  I still have to cook something if I want to eat it, especially since I have to drive 20 miles to shop at a natural foods store.

In the temporary lodging earlier this summer, I was lucky enough to use a stand mixer.  However, I learned older KitchenAid stand mixers have bad pocket habits, where the attachments just don't circulate in that wide bowl like the new ones do.

It was so good, I didn't take a picture!  Here's a picture of Sheepish Bun in the woods, instead.




This isn't so much a recipe as a concept.

Grilled Leek Colcannon


  • 4 "mashed potato" potatoes (Idaho variety)
  • 2 leeks, washed and split in half
  • Oil for grilling
  • 1/4 cup vegan margarine
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened nondairy milk (canned coconut milk is best)
  • salt and pepper to taste



  1. In a large pot over high heat, bring potatoes and enough water to cover them to a boil.
  2. Boil potatoes until just barely fork-tender.
  3. Wrap potatoes in foil and grill to soften them.
  4. Rub leeks in oil and grill until they start to turn translucent.
  5. Wait until your veggies are cool enough to handle.
  6. Dice up the soft parts of the leeks and half-moon the outer parts.
  7. Cube the potatoes (skins on or off is your preference---and your grill's cleanliness).
  8. In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment (or with a very strong hand mixer and a large, tall bowl), place the soft parts of the leeks, the cubed potatoes, and the margarine, and let 'er rip.
  9. Mix on medium speed and watch the potatoes soften.
  10. Add nondairy milk to keep things moving or until desired consistency is reached.
  11. Stir in the remaining leek parts.
  12. Add salt and pepper to taste.



Serve with tamari if you want lots of salt all of a sudden...like I apparently did.


Start with chocolate, end with chocolate: new fave breakfast on the run, Rebbl drinks.  They have proteins, too.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale