Transition Week | Banana Sour Kream Cake

O hai!



It’s Caturday, and I remembered I needed to make a blog post for this week in order to keep up my minimum.  It’s been a transition week as I’m living in Alexandria and volunteering in D.C. for the month of January.  My health is in transition too; I picked up a cold as I adjusted to the early hours I keep while volunteering in the city.

My driving playlist this time was Green Day’s American Idiot (I almost always listen to this while driving on “Holiday”), Dropkick Murphys’ Going Out in Style, Electric Wizard’s Black Masses, and Flogging Molly’s Live at the Greek Theatre.

What do you do with Christmas cookies that you just don’t want anymore?  Bring them to work, make piecrust, or make banana bread.  I made banana bread—which I had intended to be cake, and if it were sweeter, I’d call it cake—with cookies crumbled in it.



Banana Sour Kream Cake (AKA: Cookie Destruction Cake)

3 bananas
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup vegan sour cream

1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill GF All-Purpose Baking Flour OR sorghum flour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/3-2/3 cup Sucanat (I used the smaller amount, but it’d be cake with the maximum.)

Cookies:
6 pizzelles
3 polenta almond cherry cookies
8 oatmeal espresso cookies

Feel free to omit the chunks or add about 2 cups of chunks of your choice: dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, et cetera.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Grease a 9*13-inch pan.
Mash bananas and oil.  Mix wet.  Whisk dry.  Dollop wet on top of dry.  Crumble cookies on top of this assemblage.  Mix well.  Bake for 30 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test, the center springs back when touched, and it has begun to pull away from the sides of the pan.  Cool completely in the pan, then refrigerate if you’re not serving it right away since it is moist. 

If you reheat it, the usual caveat, you will taste the chickpea flour (I found this out as I tested a piece with breakfast and encountered the chickpea-ness of the Bob’s Red Mill blend).  Chickpea flour, to me, tastes like plastic.


Alright, off to pay lip service to laundry then it’s sleepy-sleepy time.

Q

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale