Demon Speeding

Got that Rob Zombie song stuck in my head, alternating with American Head Charge’s “Song for the Suspect.” 




I finished my thesis!  I’ll submit it to be bound on Monday, two weeks ahead of schedule.  Knock on wood I make it back to school tomorrow.

While finishing my thesis, I alternated my work with two baking projects: I made spaghetti casserole and an apple pie.  Yesterday, before attending a Wikipedia edit-a-thon at the Smithsonian Institution Archives, I made tahinopita, a Greek cake made with tahini.

Afterwards, I returned to my aunt and uncle’s house and made Mexican mole bread from The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Bread.  I used agave nectar instead of molasses since I thought, duh, agave is from Mexico.



Had that for a spicy breakfast this morning.  I also choked on a piece of this bread in the afternoon when I had a snack…that’ll teach me not to eat quickly.

Spaghetti casserole is a dish from my maternal grandmother’s mother’s side of the family.  The version I modified was originally written in 1973, but her relatives had been making it before then.



I modified it using the random foods I had on hand, and I indicated my substitutions/additions, as usual, in parentheses.

Spaghetti Casserole
From Carol Bowers’ December 28, 1973 recipe

1 teaspoon oil (sesame)
1 yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced (I used two, pressed)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 package vegan, gluten-free sausage (I used Trader Joe’s Soyrizo)
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
1/2 tablespoon oregano
1 bay leaf
1 small can tomato sauce (about 1 cup)
1 small can tomato paste (about 2/3 cup; I used about a cup of Trader Joe’s organic catsup to clean out a bottle)
1 1/2 cups water (to rinse the cans into the mixture)
salt and pepper to taste
1 16-ounce can kidney beans

1/2 pound gluten-free spaghetti (or other pasta; I used brown rice rotini)

1 1/3 cup vegan mozzarella cheeze shreds (I used Daiya mozzarella)

Cheeze whiz:
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup almonds
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon mustard (wet or dry)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 cup water (to blend)
1 cup water (to rinse out the blender)

In a large saucepan or stock pot, heat oil over medium heat.  Sautee the onion until it begins to turn translucent, then add the garlic and cook “until soft & light gold color.”  Add the red pepper flakes and toast for a minute.  Squeeze the vegan sausage from the casing and cook for a few minutes.  Add the sugar, oregano, bay leaf, tomato sauce, and tomato paste.  Rinse the sauce and paste cans with about 1 1/2 cups water and pour this water into the onion-sausage mixture.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat for about fifteen minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Grease a 9*13” casserole dish.

Bring about six cups of water to a boil in a large pot.  Cook the pasta according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.

In a blender, combine all the cheeze whiz ingredients minus one cup of water.  Blend until the almonds and garlic are completely ground.  Pour into a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil and cook until thickened (about 15 minutes), stirring often.  It will be liquidy but not completely watery when done.



Add the beans to the onion-garlic-tomato mixture.  Heat the beans through, then turn off the heat.  Stir the pasta into the tomato mixture, coating completely. 




Add half the pasta mixture to the casserole.  Sprinkle 2/3 cup cheeze shreds on top of the pasta.  Best instructions ever: “Add 1/2 teaspoon of Cheez whiz in strategically located places on casserole.” 



Repeat with the remaining pasta mixture, cheeze shreds, and cheeze sauce.  Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until cheeze sauce has “set” and cheeze shreds are melty (or browned, if you like it that way).  Let cool for ten minutes before digging in.  Though I have yet to test this, like the original recipe, it’s probably very tasty eaten cold and several days later.



I served it over spinach to redeem it further from the original.  


Besides cheeze whiz and real cheese, the original featured 1 1/2 pounds of ground chuck and 2 feet of sausage (hot and sweet Italian).  Talk about a special treat, mm-hmm!  No, seriously, I used to enjoy this dish at the annual Christmas Day dinner at my great-aunt Mary’s house.




Updated 12/27/2012--no oil, no tomatoes

Butternut Squash Spaghetti Casserole
From Carol Bowers’ December 28, 1973 recipe

1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 package vegan, gluten-free sausage (I used Trader Joe’s Soyrizo)
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 butternut squash, roasted and peeled
1 1/2 cups water (to rinse the bean can)
salt and pepper to taste
1 16-ounce can cannelini beans

1 pound gluten-free spaghetti (or other pasta; I used brown rice elbows)

1 1/3 cup vegan mozzarella cheeze shreds (I used Daiya mozzarella)

Cheeze whiz:
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup or walnuts)
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon mustard (wet or dry)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water (to blend)
1 cup water (to rinse out the blender)

In a blender, combine all the cheeze whiz ingredients minus one cup of water.  Blend until the almonds and garlic are completely ground.  Pour into a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil and cook until thickened (about 15 minutes), stirring often.  It will be liquidy but not completely watery when done.

Warm a large saucepan or stock pot over medium heat.  Sautee the onion until it begins to turn translucent and brown in spots, stirring frequently, and add a pinch of salt.  Then add the garlic and cook “until soft & light gold color.”  Add the red pepper flakes and toast for a minute.  Deglaze the pan with a little water, scraping up the browned bits.  Squeeze the vegan sausage from the casing and cook for a few minutes.  Add the oregano, bay leaf, nutmeg, turmeric, and squash.  Stir around to break up the chunks.  Add the beans and rinse the bean can the onion-sausage mixture.  Add pepper to taste.  Once it bubbles, turn off the heat and set aside until the pasta is ready.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Grease a 9*13-inch casserole dish.

Bring about six cups of water to a boil in a large pot.  Cook the pasta according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.

Add half the pasta mixture to the casserole.  Sprinkle 2/3 cup cheeze shreds on top of the pasta.  Best instructions ever: “[a]dd 1/2 teaspoon of Cheez whiz in strategically located places on casserole.” 

Repeat with the remaining pasta mixture, cheeze shreds, and cheeze sauce.  Bake, uncovered, for 15-25 minutes or until cheeze sauce has “set” and cheeze shreds are melty (or browned, if you like it that way).  Let cool for ten minutes before digging in.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale