Trendy Thursday

Q is for Quinoa.

Quinoa pizza bites are all over the ’nets. Google it. Figured I’d throw my hat into the ring, my colonial tricorn into the Coraline other-world ring, that is.

The particular recipe I deconstructed and rebuilt is from a blog called “The Way to His Heart Blog,” taking its title from the phrase, “The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.”





Whenever I think of that phrase, I think of Akasha ripping a guy’s heart out in Queen of the Damned. Vampires have kind of ruined me in some ways. Then again, my birthday is Halloween…

Quinoa Pizza Muffins

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water

olive oil for the pans

1 onion, (drawn and) quartered
2 cloves garlic
1 16-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 16-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon GF tamari
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1 16-ounce bag frozen spinach, defrosted and drained (drink the cooking water!)

In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring the quinoa and water to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.

Once the quinoa is cooked, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease two 12-well standard muffin tins with olive oil. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl. If you have not already done so, defrost the spinach in the same pot in which you cooked the quinoa.

In a food processor, process the onion, garlic, 2/3 of the beans, and the spices until the beans are broken down and the mixture is hommos-like in texture. You may need to scrape down the sides a few times to make sure the onion is sufficiently processed. Transfer this mixture to the bowl with the quinoa and stir in the spinach. Mix well until the mixture is fully combined. Transfer to the muffin wells and fill to capacity.



Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the tops are firm. LET THOSE SUCKERS COOL before you remove them from the tins.




Unfortunately, I didn’t account for the fact that I scaled up the recipe and added moist spinach; my muffins did not hold together after 20 minutes at 350. However, from beanball experience, I know that bean-grain cakes need high heat for a while. I have not tested this recipe as it is written (sorry? it’s hot outside) and so your feedback is appreciated.

Parting shots:
I made raw apple pie last week and yeah, I agree with the rumours, eating raw food produces a, for lack of a better word, high.



I’ve also been having “raw breakfast” because my Instagram peeps post such beautiful pictures of their food.  I made the raw apple pie and coconut cakes from Ani Phyo’s Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen







It’s a good energy boost before embarking on INSANITY ®. Now that exercise program produces a high like a good run (in the cold…I like running in the cold).

I amused myself the other day with a list of reasons, in no particular order.

Why Q is undertaking Beachbody ® INSANITY ®:
  1. Because I can.
  2. The difference between having a butt and having an ass: squats.
  3. Skinny girls look good in clothes. Fit girls look good naked.
  4. Ad majorem dei gloriam
  5. “She got hot.”
  6. How far can I push myself…and then some.
  7. Visceral fat = Danger, danger, Will Robinson!

I was in a rut, exercise and diet-wise. The interwebs and my IIN studies helped me find new modes to try. After all, as my grandmother says, “You get out of it what you put into it.” 

Corollary: if you do the same thing, you get the same results.

What are you going to do differently today in order to get different results?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale