Four Pieces of Advice


Four Pieces of Advice

What did my mother teach me how to do?

What didn’t my mother teach me how to do?!

Let’s not go there. We are spiritual beings having a material experience, and material experiences have limitations.

Meta-discussion out of the way (not sorry, as a religion scholar, I must always make such concessions), here’s a recipe and the advice.


Chocolate Coconut Hempseed Granola
Inspired by @Organicandhappy’s cereal http://instagram.com/p/ZBDS1OwWSy/

4 cups GF rolled oats
1 cup hempseeds
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup cocoa powder (or cacao if you have it)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

4 tablespoons coconut oil, solid
1/3 cup agave nectar

1 cup raisins

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment or foil.

In a large bowl (I mean the biggest one you got), whisk together the dry ingredients. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the coconut oil and stir in the agave. Pour the agave-coconut mixture over the oat mixture and stir the Dickens out of it.  Spread out on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes total (I did 15, 10, and 5 minute intervals). Stir granola and rotate sheet at intervals. When browned and just slightly beginning to steam heavily, remove from the oven. Stir the raisins into the granola and let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.



My mother taught me how to cook and bake. I’m paying it forward by mailing her some granola. She coined the phrase “ ‘mom needs chocolate’ cake” in our household. I think it’s a good hashtag. #momneedschocolate granola.


My one whine for this post: I made this granola and am writing this post whilst listening to club tunes--a Blutengel Pandora station and a Blutengel YouTube mix. I’d like to go to a Goth club at least once in my life (heck, I was only at a bar for the first time two months ago). Being straightedge and ace, though, I wonder what places that involve substances and sexuality have to offer for me. My wish is to dance and sing and dress up with likeminded folk…


Instead of coming up with my own advice for this post, I’m repeating that which has been gifted to me this week.

From fellow team member: Pain is weakness leaving the body.
My response (quoting my grandmother): You have to suffer to be beautiful.

Ownie Mom: don’t gossip and don’t get involved with people who do. If they talk shit about others behind their backs, they talk shit about you behind your back, too.

From Rutgers vs. Navy football game, 2011


A very generous customer: You’re young. Give it time. You don’t know how the story will end.

For all my spiritual mothers, those who are on this side of the river and those who are on the far shore, a blessed Mother’s Day to ye.

Comments

  1. I like that recipe and will try it soon. I loved your mom's quote- it's so true!

    I'd like to come dancing with you at a Goth Club. I can do black!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's do it! There's a club in/near Trenton that has a Goth/80's night occasionally.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale