Chutney & Authenticity

For a theme of "curry," I made peach plum coconut chutney. While it may not meet the Wikipedia definition of chutney (which I have no doubt is authentic; no sarcasm here) as it is uncooked, it's delicious. I would serve it with something plain, like tofu or noodles, since it is vibrantly spicy. You could add a hot pepper or some cayenne and take it up to your desired level of spiciness. The curry powder you choose also influences the heat.


White Peach-Plum-Coconut Chutney
(This is the "samples for 300" version; scale down as you see fit.)

Base:
1 10-ounce container dried figs, chopped
2 red onions, diced
1 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 inches ginger, peeled and diced

Chunks:
13 white peaches, diced
13 yellow plums, diced
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup curry powder (I used Whole Foods Muchi Curry; I also have a Penzey's hot curry that I like)
pinch sea salt (or to taste)

In a food processor or blender, blitz the figs, onions, liquid ingredients, and ginger until a gelatinous base forms. In a large bowl, combine the peaches, plums, coconut, and curry. Add the base and stir. Taste and add salt as desired.



I served it with sesame rice crackers since they were the blandest, cheapest, vegan and gluten-free crackers I could scare up.

As I'm making some major life changes, I'm continually asking myself how I can remain authentic to my values while also valuing my education and other opportunities I have been granted, which heretofore I have not honoured as well as I should. Follow them subordinate clauses to the logical conclusion, eh?

Namaste,
Q

Comments

  1. Vibrantly spicy! O.K. for some but I would choose just a small amount of mild curry powder and no addition of hot peppers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale