Going Clean: Strawberry Avocado Salsa

My assignment: Go maketh something tasty with the One-Day Deal item, strawberries. I wanted Mexican food, so yesterday I made strawberry salsa, which included avocado at the behest of the marketing team leader. Mango and pineapple salsas are a thing, so why not strawberry salsa? Aguacates y fresas son frutas tambien.






This is Health Starts Here compatible and "clean," id est, no artificial ingredients, nor added sugar, salt, or fat. My dear brother Jamz described this as "anti-James" food because he is allergic to strawberries and doesn't like avocados. Cooking (or uncooking, in this case, since the dish is raw) with strawberries is therefore odd to me since we didn't have them much growing up.

Strawberry Avocado Salsa
by Q!
1 lb. strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
2 avocados, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
bunch of cilantro, chopped fine
juice of 1 lemon
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and serve with your favourite dipping noms. The more it sits, the creamier it gets.

This week I threw out the final bit of sugar in my house. I heard an explanation for binges on certain foods as "inside coming out" in one of my IIN lectures. Yeah, I used to eat chocolate chips. I choose to fuel my body differently now. So out goes the organic, vegan, glutenfree, eco-friendly, fair-trade mint chocolate I was saving for melty mints (recipe in December 2012 on this blog). I learned yet again, after losing foodie call twice in a row, that my energy affects the food I create (well, everything I create, but my food is my primary output at this time). I don't want to give away food with crazy energy surrounding it (e.g., sugar-rich chocolate which I have abused) so I chuck it. Until I clear that crazy energy from my system it affects what I do. How do I clear it?

Acknowledge it.
Admit to erred thinking.
Confess it (aloud with an audience or written--just air it and don't keep it inside).
Let it go in order to make room for positive energy.
Do what nourishes you and creates positive energy.

Did the above ritual in my own way. Made some peace and love and light-filled curry, saffron rice, and pumpkin pie for a dear spiritual father. Made the above salsa yesterday. Baked some scones yesterday as well. All turned out beautifully and easily.

Taking the time to go clean and let go of that which doesn't serve you ultimately saves you time you'd otherwise spend addicted, distraught, and foggy. Let the light in.

Namaste,
Q

Comments

  1. Sorry! I won't give up chocolate. Why can't you sweeten yours with your sugar substitutes.

    AA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use agave, maple syrup, coconut palm sugar, the occasional honey, and if absolutely necessary, stevia (I think stevia has a nasty aftertaste). Here's a link to a breakdown of common sugar subs: http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/complete-guide-to-sugar-and-sugar-substitutes. Artificial sweeteners are out of my picture because they can cause cancer and make one crave more sweets (http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale