Avocados & Aggression

Sometimes aggressively remaking a recipe yields better results. I have made these waffles three times now and the last time, while not perfect, was the best of all three. These are more anti-James food since I used both avocados and strawberries, both of which are foods to which my brother objects. Good thing I made these just for me! I mucked up my waffle iron with the wet batter in the process, but I consider it well broken-in now. The cocoa makes the avocado taste more apparent, I think, unless it’s obscured with lots of sweetener. The strawberry version below has no cocoa.





Chocolate avocado waffles drowned in maple syrup and almond butter, circa February.




Earlier this week, I was thinking about aggression as I was following a Les Mills Combat workout. Les Mills Combat is more fun when punching out and kicking imaginary opponents (and my form is better). I am so conditioned not to be aggressive, particularly because I work in customer service. However, I do actively sell items to people and demo takes a certain type of aggressiveness. 

To admit a desire to be more aggressive is socially unacceptable, of course. I understand I am a diminutive, attractive female, and those traits alone seem to give others the impression that I am passive, not aggressive. Oh wait. I went to Princeton. I’m competitive and aggressive in matters of the mind. I’m vegan, so I’m not on an aggression-promoting diet (plants are pretty passive, last I checked), and I try to avoid salty and sweet extremes.

I don’t like dissonance between body and mind, though. “If you do not believe in what your religion teaches, why continue to support a belief which is contradictory with your feelings[?]” Anton La Vey writes in The Satanic Bible.

Possible remedies:
1. Get a mentally aggressive job.
2. Eat meat or fish.
3. Push self to be more aggressive in “get shit done” kinds of ways.

Of the three of these remedies, three will inform one will make two more feasible.

Avocado Strawberry Waffles

1 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened coconut)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 teaspoons chia seeds
1 cup strawberries, fresh or frozen (defrost the frozen)
1 ripe avocado

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup millet flour
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon. baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

canola oil for the waffle iron

Preheat the waffle iron. Grease it when hot (put the oil on a paper towel and swab the grids of the iron).

In a blender, blitz together the non-dairy milk, vinegar, maple syrup, chia seeds, avocado until uniformly combined. Pulse in the strawberries and leave strawberry chunks.

In a large bowl, sift and whisk together dry ingredients. Add wet to dry and mix well. Dollop onto the hot waffle iron and cook until they stop steaming (a good 3-4 minutes!).  Repeat until all batter is used up.




Of course the first few were “sacrifice” waffles.

Did you know, avocado etymologically derives from a Nahuatl word that roughly translates to "testicle?" How's that for aggression?

Parting shots:
Made a tester cake of this Dreena Burton recipe since my good name as a VGF baker, among other things, is on the line if it doesn't turn out right for a friend's birthday party. In trying to taste it as a non-vegan, non-GF-er would, I recognized that buckwheat flour is not meant for cake.


For those of you looking for Wednesday's under-spiced zucchini quiche, the (much more spicy) recipe is here on this blog.

New/old stuff: New ace ring, a Hearthsong ring I've had for years. New Hot Topic cemetery pattern skirt (part of my "back to school, hah hah, just kidding" haul) which I wore for the first time on a cemetery visit with a friend today.

Comments

  1. Every minute is new so stay open to understand all the possibilities. You don't need to decide between passive and aggressive.

    Buckwheat flour in a cake- I'm glad you nixed that!

    AA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, buckwheat flour in cake is good, but not everyone has my tastebuds :-p.
    True, I don't need to decide, and choosing one over the other in all situations would be detrimental to my life! I'm just saying I could be a little more aggressive when it comes to interpersonal relationships and job applications.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale