Pushing Potential: Yes, Virginia, Fruit is for Savouries

Why limit the potential of fruit? Roasting figs is the second best way to eat them, in my opinion, second to dried figs. I call this side dish a fall preview since roasting is a more energy-intense cooking method appropriate to complement the winding down of summer. Abbreviating the name of this dish would be FFEO, but I don't think this is an ugly recipe (feo is ugly en espanol). I seemed to have been on a purple kick since the figs, onion. and eggplant were all of the same hue. Maybe I should call it Figs Royale since purple is the colour of royalty in the ancient world...but then why choose a French adjective for a Greco-Roman concept? Too much thinking as a side dish, enjoy my favourite way to eat vegetables: al horno.



Roasted Figs, Fennel, Eggplant, and Onions

1 pint figs, destemmed and quartered
1 bulb fennel, sliced into one-inch pieces (including fronds)
2 large eggplant, sliced into one-inch cubes (a serrated boning knife works wonders here)
1 red onion, half-mooned
1/4 cup pomegranate molasses (or maple syrup)
2 tablespoons safflower oil (or other neutral, high-heat oil)
1 teaspoon ground cloves
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. You can turn it down to anywhere from 425-375 but it will take longer to cook. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat and set aside.

In a large bowl, toss the cut veggies with the molasses, oil, and seasonings until evenly coated. Spread  mixture in an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring at about 15 minutes, until the eggplant has browned and everything has softened. Serve hot, cold, or indifferent.




Parting shots:

This week I received two bags of squashed marbles, AKA mancala beads. I play a mean game of mancala, if I may brag, and I challenge you to a match. My brother and I have trained for years in the ancient game... Anyway, while messing around with mancala beads once, my brother and I decided to put them in our socks. Walking foot massage! An even better way to use squashed marbles is to wash them in boiling hot water, drain them onto a towel, and then step on them. Hot stone massage for cheap!

This week, there was a lot of this.


And not a lot of this.

I freely confess to limiting my potential for physical and mental change and growth by not sleeping. Making an effort to get to bed by midnight would help this situation. How are you limiting your potential? What are you gonna do about it?

Comments

  1. Perhaps Roasted Figs, Fennel, and Eggplant from Ferrara. Or Medici Figs. Or Frà Pandolf's Figs.

    Viking Blood (VB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Q,

    Wow, what an adventurous combination. Might add some garlic salt.

    My current favorite veggies for roasting are chunks of carrot, yam, butternut squash, and onions (still deciding whether yellow or Vidalia are best) tossed in olive oil and garlic salt baked at 450 for about 35 minutes on a rimmed baking sheet. I have to put them right on the sheet to get the browning.

    If there are any left the next day I puree them with a little chicken broth, dash of cream, pinch of nutmeg or cardamon (still deciding) and a pinch of allspice. Delicious.

    Figs would probably be good with this or pears. What do you think?


    Viking Blood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garlic itself would be even better in this!
      Interesting, are you using a dark sheet? Using darker bakingware produces browning. That sounds like a fabulous soup; I'd make it with veggie broth and coconut milk, but I like the idea. Roasted pears are pretty fabulous, so I would recommend them since figs are not easy to come by.

      Thanks for sharing, Viking Blood!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale