Snicker-doodle-doo

I get my kicks by deconstructing and rebuilding Betty Crocker recipes. My spiritual mother Vicki gave me this snickerdoodles recipe from one of the classic Betty Crocker books and I remade it since I had a hankering for 1) cookies and 2) cinnamon on Thursday. As I'm satisfied with my pumpkin cookie game, I remembered I had this recipe and, as a classic recipe, it would be fit for sharing.




Snickerdoodles
Modified from Betty Crocker

1/2 scant cup warm water
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed

1 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup arrowroot
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

dash cinnamon

1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup organic palmfruit shortening

2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment or Silpats. Place the two tablespoons of ground cinnamon in a shallow dish and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the water and flaxseed and set aside. In another large bowl, sift together the flours, xanthan gum, leavening, cream of tartar, and little bit of cinnamon. Whisk together to blend.

With an electric hand mixer, combine the maple syrup, shortening, and flaxseed mixture. Beat the shit out of it. It will look curdly.


Power tools! (No, not Q!)

Fold the dry ingredients into the wet and mix well. With a teaspoon-sized cookie scoop, drop balls of dough into the cinnamon and roll to coat. Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand on the sheets (I forgot so my cookies remained tall). Bake for ten minutes total, rotating midway through. Cool on the sheets for five minutes then remove to a rack to cool completely.


Parting shots:
Honestly, I made cookies just because I wanted cookie dough for dessert. Perks of being vegan: eating the cookie dough and licking the beaters!



For the first time since I moved to Gaithersburg on 22 June, I went for walkies. As if that thought and a chill day at work weren't good enough, I found a package of clothes from Aunt Ann on the doorstep. And my walk took me to a graveyard. Was difficult not to take too many pictures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale