Pumpkin & Press

Power, paleo, pumpkin, press, pensamientos.

Reading is wonderful. As I'm not driving as much during the workweek, I read for news. I'm going to do what my grandparents on both sides fear about blogs: share my opinion! As if I don't any other week.



Important business first:
October 6-13 is National Mental Health Awareness week. Read on and listen with compassion when others--or yourself--share deep concerns, 'sall I can say, folks.

Skulls are cool.

In the battle of cashier versus robot, cashiers still win. I can rattle off PLUs with the best of them, a week out. Mixed feelings about it.

Did a pumpkin bread head-to-head. Elena's Pantry versus Inspire and Indulge, both made vegan and modified to fit my tastes. The loaves had a spongy, moist texture while the more coconutty bars were dense and dry. I chose to make paleo (grain-free) pumpkin bread because Thanksgiving abounds with carbs, carbs everywhere for a VGF-er (don't double-entendre that abbreviation like I just did).

Pumpkin Bread Bars
http://inspireandindulge.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/paleo-pumpkin-bread-bars/

1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed

2/3 cup almond meal
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves

(See below for instructions as they're the same for each recipe.)

Pumpkin Bread Loaf
http://www.thedailymeal.com/paleo-pumpkin-bread

3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
2 tablespoons agave

1 cup almond meal
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a small loaf pan (I used two ramekins) and an 8*8-inch pan and set aside.

In two large measuring cups, whisk together the wet ingredients for each recipe.  In two large bowls, sift then whisk together the dry ingredients (sift the almond meal unless you want to beat it with a whisk to break up the chunks. Don't be like me). Add wet to dry and mix well. Transfer batters to respective pans. Bake for 35-37 minutes or until the centres spring back when touched and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.  Cool in the pans for 15 minutes then remove to a rack to cool completely.

Loaf





Bars


Parting Shots:
Because I can cook...I do. A lot.

Slightly burned (I was upset) buckwheat blueberry hearts.


Millet noodles make soul soup that much better.


Black rice noodles Goth up zucchini and pesto.



FIN. As if you couldn't tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale