Honours Student Breakfast: Museli

Before I had my licence/parents would let me drive, for the super-early National Honor Society morning meetings, Ownie Mom would drive me to school. As usual, she gave me breakfast: a thermos of Earl Grey tea, a pot of Stonyfield Farms organic, low-fat yoghurt (chocolate please!), maybe an apple, and a bag of enhanced trail mix. Trail mix with more stuff became my vice in later years: GORP, M'n'Ms, peanutbutter-filled pretzels, and Quaker Oatmeal Squares. Of course I ate it to stay awake in 2006-2008. I made it for myself and ate it to fill some hunger for the same love and care for my success in 2009-2010.



Reframing and curse-reversing time. I like to eat Bob's Red Mill GF Museli in green juice (at work, which indicates a hunger for something not-food, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt). When I kept seeing Nutrition Stripped's Nourishing Museli on Instagram, I knew I could redo my favourite snack/breakfast.

While not as whole-foods-y as McKel's original, mine is a healthy indulgence served in the same ways the originator recommends: straight, over a green smoothie, or on vice cream. Hiding GF cereal in museli is a good way to make it more nutritious and more of a meal than it is by itself.



Museli

2 cups GF rolled oats
3 cups GF cereal (I used Kashi Simply Maize and Van's Cinnamon Heaven cereals)
12 GF sandwich cookies, quartered and squashed (I used Kinnitoos Chocolate Sandwich Cremes)
1 cup almonds
1 cup walnuts
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup hempseeds
2 cups raisins
1 1/4 cups goji berries (I used up a bag)
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash sea salt

Mix it all together and store in airtight containers. Portioning is recommended.



With some Marley Coffee Rawmeal protein powder and ground flaxseed: breakfast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale