Caelum Non Animum | Quinoa Apple Muffins

Reposting this blog has brought much reflection. 2011 was my first taste of freedom as an intern in DC. 2012 I sought to recapture that freedom, but such things cannot be duplicated. 2013 was divided into nine months in the Working Class University of Life and School of Hard Knocks followed by Gothic Charm School. 2014 got off to a rocky start, but now we're in the Rockies. Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare currunt I invalidated in this instance as TC and I worked at improving our outlooks on life before the move, with great success.


Another recipe without many pictures, so there are cat pictures instead!


Yes, I use my blog for professional references. Yes, I discuss personal material on my blog. Why? I'm me and there's no denying it. I've struggled. I've had gains. I'm a three-dimensional person with stories to tell and with lessons to share from my experiences. This blog shows my

  • reflectiveness
  • critical thinking skills
  • creativity
  • subject matter expertise on being vegan and gluten-free
  • resilience
Show don't tell; read my blog!

The following recipe was my first high-altitude baking success before a series of failures, albeit tasty ones.

Apple Quinoa Almond Muffins
Modified from The Holistic Ingredient

2 cups water
1 cup uncooked quinoa (2 1/3 cups cooked quinoa)

1/3 cup nondairy milk (I used ricemilk)
1/2 cup agave
1/2 cup rum
4 teaspoons chia seeds

3/4 cup raw apple, grated
3/4 cup coconut oil, melted

1 cup almond meal
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Make the quinoa. Rinse the quinoa thoroughly. In a medium saucepan with a lid, bring the quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Set aside to cool slightly.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease or paper a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside (I used a heart muffin and a mini donut pan). 

In a blender or food processor, blitz the quinoa, nondairy milk, agave, rum, and chias. Add in the coconut oil and apple and pulse to combine.

In a small bowl, whisk together the almond meal, xanthan gum, leavening, and seasonings. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Transfer to the prepared muffin tins. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched in the centre and test clean with a toothpick. Let cool in the pan for 30 minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.


Breakfast with apple and Wild Friends chocolate peanut butter


Parting Shots:
Shinobi making his daily rounds--over and around your stuff!



I don't like frozen yoghurt shops anymore; the glitz has worn off. This may have been a rare instance in which I got a flavour other than non-dairy fruit. I can make non-dairy fruit whip at home. I don't go to the trouble of making chocolate or vanilla vice cream. 



Chia pudding, a sip of Monster, and other stuff for breakfast a while back.



Comments

  1. Tell us more about Shinobi!

    AA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not my cat. He's TC's friend's cat, just barely out of kittenhood. Shinobi is Japanese for "Ninja."

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale