The Joy of Toys | Sourdough Coffee Cake

**GOTHIC GRANOLA PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT**

This blog is in a serious state of reconstruction. We have switched from Blogger to Wordpress thanks to the patient and thorough guidance of Jason at Site Image Studios. Themes will change pretty much daily. It's like shopping for clothes...no, wait, shopping for clothes is way more straightforward. Jason made the technical side of transferring the GG domain to a different registrar, setting up my email, and configuring Google Apps utterly painless. My site will be ready to expand should I use it for health coaching as well, and I have more features than ever before. Gothic Granola lives on, thanks to Site Image Studios!

 

 

Toys! My Polly Pocket restaurant set from 1992 or 1993 looks like a burger restaurant. But it’s vegan and gluten-free. Literally, because it is plastic. Literally, because there’s nothing to eat, just like at a vegan and gluten-free place. Hah. No, it's vegan and gluten-free because I say so. Good veggie burgers are difficult to make, and I haven't found a great recipe yet, so this post's recipe has little to do with its topic.

IMG_6506



Legos. That I play with legos at age 23 shows I am creative and in touch with my creativity I developed in childhood still. That I have to point out that playing = creativity and "play" as an adult does not have to be sexual is annoying. Get an imagination, people! Or more like, get in touch with yours! It's ironic: "According to creativity coach Gail McMeekin, 'Play brings us back to childhood when we were free to play with abandon and we were not afraid of being judged or criticized.'" Yet when you put a plush and a sailor moon doll (Chococat and Sailor Jupiter, thank you very much) on your desk at work, your coworkers judge you and consider you insecure, strange, and childish in the sense of being immature.

Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 08.41.08 AM

There are studies for "what your desk says about you." This article published on Monster.com indicates that toys in the office mean you're not serious about work. Thanks, unimaginative world. Yet in an article on Entrepreneur, citing the same Sam Gosling (Psychologist and professor at University of Texas at Austin), asserts that "uncommon objects" on one's desk indicates that one is "creative and open to new experiences." I think my organized desk overrides the wildcard factor of toys; I organize my materials and prioritize well, preparing me for most corporate curveballs.

IMG_6507

I like the advice given to artist Julie Guillebeau in the afore-cited article on creativity and play: " 'Take your art seriously, but don’t take yourself too seriously. Play.'"

IMG_6505

And on that note, let's play with flours. My sourdough starter in Colorado is a very happy culture. I found cheap, large jars at a thrift store and stocked up on teff at the bulk store (TC and I call it the bulkery). I made wild starter following Jennifer Katzinger's recipe in Gluten-Free and Vegan Bread: Artisanal Recipes to Make at Home. TC's dad gave me a "cathedral" bundt pan, and it's perfect for making little slices of cake or bread. I saved super-strong coffee from Saturday to make coffee

IMG_6497

Sourdough Coffee Cake

Modified from Old Hickory Farms via Sweet-n-Sourdough.blogspot.com

1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup cold coffee
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup teff sourdough starter, fed

3/4 cup white rice flour
3/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 teaspoon x-gum
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Oil and tapioca-dust a medium-sized Bundt pan and set aside.
In a very large measuring cup, combine the applesauce, coconut oil, coconut sugar, ground flaxseed, coffee, and vanilla. Mix until uniformly combined.
In another large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the starter to the wet ingredients and mix well.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in four additions. Mix well to combine. Transfer to the pan and smooth the top.
Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean and the cake springs back when touched.

  • IMG_6490


Cool in the pan for an hour before inverting to a plate or cooling rack to finish cooling. Store wrapped in plastic on the countertop for up to a week before freezing.

IMG_6492

While I was trying to find the URL (I had the blog name) for the recipe I modified, I found a similarly-titled blog: Sweet and Sourdough, instead of Sweet n Sourdough.

IMG_2105

Funny story, the Sweet and Sourdough authoress describes the DC careerist culture perfectly. Girl after my own heart. Now in Alaska. And TC's mom lives in Alaska. Plus I just met up last weekend with my former supervisor from when I worked in DC, who also lived in Alaska and studied at University of Anchorage. Just another example of the ridiculously awesome synchronicity I have experienced this week.

Now, time to free-associate in plastic and continue playing with Legos.

IMG_2114

BTW, Jason is also known as owner of Shinobi the Kit-teen and fellow Colorado adventurer who generously provided kitchen space and some photos for this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale