Songs for Dying

This post may be best placed on my other blog, Cemetery Spelunking, but it bears mention here.

[caption id="attachment_4359" align="aligncenter" width="169"]Stained glass window next to the front door in the narthex of Arlington Metaphysical Chapel; view from the basement stairs. Stained glass window next to the front door in the narthex of Arlington Metaphysical Chapel; view from the basement stairs.[/caption]

When TC and I went mountain bike camping a few weeks ago, one night we hung out with this older gentleman and his dog since they were the only other people at this remote camping spot.  The old man kept playing classic rock and folk that neither TC or I knew (I like Pink Floyd and that's about the extent of my classic rock knowledge).  He kept saying, I want them to play this song at my funeral, playing songs by Cat Stevens, JJ Cale, Jim Crochee, and Lobo.

I don't know what song I want played at my funeral, but I did hear this song recently on Pandora, "Without Faith" by ThouShaltNot.  It's perfect for a scene where I plan to kill off a major character in my novel (the fourth or fifth book, actually).  Why should you give a rat's ass about my killing off a character in a yet-unpublished series?  You shouldn't; I'm just talking about that which makes me happy, writing.  Besides the obvious that the character is an atheist, it's a haunting song, appropriate for death and dying.  Maybe it's not "up there" in terms of musical virtuosity (and who am I to judge, since I can barely sing or play bassoon and guitar?), but I like it and it gave me ideas for my art.

What song do you want played at your funeral?

Comments

  1. It would be tasteful to have a cello playing Bach but i think I'll go with "She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain When She Comes."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great choice! Then everyone can sing and raise their spirits/vibes/energy/metaphysical thing of choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale

Grilled Leek Colcannon