Mango Vice Cream

This is not sorbet.  You have been warned.





I have attempted to make mango vice cream in the past, and it froze rock solid.  Pureed mango directly in the base does not smooth ice cream make.  However, turning fresh mango into syrup turns out regular vice cream (also, I learned to add coconut oil to the cooked base).  Sorbet is only sugar, water, and fruit, cooked and churned like ice cream.

The type of mango I used in this recipe (and I only used one) was a Haden mango (red-green and soft to the touch when ripe).  To quote my friend Alaine, it's about the size of a C-cup.  If they were available, I'd use two Ataulfo mangoes instead (the smaller yellow ones, A-cup sized).

Mango Syrup

  • 1 ripe Haden mango, peeled cubed (about 1 1/2 cups of mango flesh)

  • 1 cup organic sugar

  • 1 cup water



  1. In a blender, blitz all ingredients together until smooth.

  2. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring mango mixture to a boil.

  3. Reduce heat to low and simmer for an hour, without the lid, until the volume is reduced by a third and texture is syrupy.

  4. Let cool on a rack before using in vice cream.


Make this vice cream base, minus the almond and vanilla extracts (and obviously without the cherries and chocolate chips), and instead add half of the syrup from the recipe above to the base before cooking.  Cook, chill, and churn as usual.

There you go, vice cream that is not rock solid in a few hours.



Parting shots:

Thought of the day:
Reflection and action must never be undertaken independently.

                                                                                                              --Paulo Friere

I have whined and bitched on this blog about how little reflection is valued in the modern workplace (white and blue collar), and in my short work experience, this has proven to be a spike-lined pitfall in many a situation.  I'm not old enough yet to generalize about examples where they won't come back to bite me, yet.  I just found the quote from today's Virtues Pick generally applicable (and if you read about Paulo Friere, he's relevant in this day and age, too.)

 

Looking forward to the next album from Third Realm, The Suffering Angel!  Two tracks are up on YouTube now, "Prisoners of Life" and "Bringer of Evil."  If there was to be a video for "Bringer of Evil," one would hope it would involve freaky nuns.

I tried some "Malk" this week, the maple pecan variety.  At 11g fat/7 g sugar per serving, this is gourmet nondairy milk, for special occasions.  Tasted unremarkably good, but wouldn't buy it again.



One of the grocery stores near me sells Daiya pizzas.  One pizza = one serving.



I learned this week that caffeine--coffee, energy drinks, Taza hot chocolate--makes me really anxious and irritable for no good reason.  I don't generally drink caffeine upon waking (I am one of those weird apple cider vinegar-agave-cinnamon-hot water drinking people).  It's not that I haven't observed these effects before, but I finally pinpointed the cause of my anxiety was mostly chemical.

[caption id="attachment_5320" align="aligncenter" width="225"] Tasty but nervous-making[/caption]

I intend to beat Nancy Drew: Shadow at the Water's Edge tonight.  Savannah Woodham, the paranormal expert Nancy consults in in the game, states the scariest place she visited was a German castle known for the evil deeds of its former occupants.  Did anyone else think, "Did you go to Castle Karnstein?!"



Save

Save

Save

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale