Cookies for Breakfast and Other Stories


Morning stories.  I woke up one day this week to Michelle Branch’s "Everywhere."  At 05:30, I realised the song was about God.  Listen to it and tell me what you think.  The next day I woke up to the Depeche Mode radio edit of "Enjoy the Silence," which is probably one of my favourite songs of the last five years of my life.


You need a cookie.  Hey, the Kentucky Derby winner today, “I’ll Have Another,” was named after that very phenomenon.  You need a cookie for breakfast.  I call these teff-tah cookies because I abbreviate “tahini” as “tah.”  Not “hini,” not “tahi,” just tah.  I found some graphic on reddit a while back about large corporations and the brands they own.  I then became curious about Crispers, a snack which my brother and I used to enjoy often.   I clicked around on the Craft Canada website and found these “Morning-on-the-Go Cookies.”  I gutted the recipe to make it allergen-friendly.

Teff-tah Cookies

1 tablespoon flax + 4 tablespoons water
3 ounces agave nectar (any type: raw, blue, light, dark)
1/3 cup tahini (I used an unsalted and roasted type)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup teff flour (will need additional 1/4 cup water)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 cup GF rolled oats
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 cup raisins (chopped if large)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line two baking sheets with parchment.

Set up flax and water in a small measuring cup.  In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.  In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients and chunks.  Add flax to wet ingredients, then add wet to dry.  Mix until combined.  Scoop into 1 1/2-tablespoon balls.  Flatten if desired.  Bake on 2 parchment lined sheets for 12-14 min or until browned on bottoms and firm to touch.  Cool on sheets for 5 minutes then cool completely on racks.  Makes 33.



I ate about five of these for breakfast on Friday with chocolate hazelnut milk.  Beats cookie crisp.

Comments

  1. Looks like you are celebrating the end of school by baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! "Everywhere" is most definitely about God (or at least in my non-definitive interpretation it most definitely is). Also, I thoroughly approve of cookies for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale