Made in America: Sweet Potato Pie


With one baked sweet potato, I made sweet potato pie for a party on Sunday.  I made the pie a day in advance because the filling is unbaked.

I made this pie for a potluck birthday party given in honour of the Buddhist nun who leads the meditation group I attend near school.  She’s originally from West Virginia, so I baked the pie in my purple Fiestaware pie plate (Fiestaware’s still made in America, folks).  When I brought her a slice, she said “This is pretty good!”


Sweet Potato Pie

Crust:
1/2 cup whole almonds, soaked
1/2 cup pecans, soaked
1/3 cup raisins (packed), soaked
1 cup GF oats
1 tablespoon coconut oil

Filling:
16 ounces of sweet potato flesh, cooked and mashed (I used one massive sweet potato and pureed pumpkin to make up the difference
1 cup raisins (packed), soaked
1 cup pecans, soaked
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 dash Kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Grease a 9-inch pie plate.  In a food processor, process the nuts, raisins, oats, and coconut oil until the mixture forms a ball.  Press into the pie plate and bake for 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven and set aside.
In the food processor, blend the sweet potato, raisins, pecans, and spices until no chunks remain.  Pour into the piecrust and chill for 8 hours or overnight before serving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale