Graduation


Post title reflects the time of the year or educational cycle; actual contents differ.



I’m going to focus on what’s in front of my face (food) rather than bloviate about the “end of my college career.”

For the graduation party my parents are throwing for me (which I am calling my “super sweet sixteen” since I didn’t think we were the kind of family that has parties in hotels…), my mom and I are each making two dozen vegan, gluten-free cupcakes.

My first batch was coconut cupcakes with coconut frosting.



Like the song “Yeah Toast,” I woke up in the morning at five A.M….add a little frosting, add a little flair.  Yeah, cupcakes!

Coconut Cupcakes
Modified from Isa Chandra Moskowitz, “Coconut Heaven Cupcakes,” in Vegan with a Vengeance (Cambridge: Da Capo Press, 2005), 277.

1 cup lite coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup canola oil
2/3 cup sugar

2/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup King Arthur Flour Ancient Grains GF blend (or quinoa flour…or some other flour with heft, but NOT, for the love of Peter Murphy, chickpea flour)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt

1 cup unsweetened shredded (small shred, if you can find it) coconut

Frosting:
1/4 cup lite coconut milk
1/4 cup margarine (I used Earth Balance coconut spread)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (I used 2/3 cup shredded and 1/3 cup flaked)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line a 12-well muffin pan with cupcake papers.

In a large measuring cup, whisk together the wet ingredients and sugar.  In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.  Pour wet into dry and mix just to combine, then fold in the coconut shreds.  Transfer to the wells, filling about 2/3 full (you may need to do “wealth redistribution” since there’s only 1 cup of flours in here).  Bake for 22-3 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, the top springs back when touched, and the cupcakes are lightly browned on the edges.  Using your asbestos fingers or a fork, remove the cupcakes from the pan immediately and cool on a rack.  Frost when completely cool (I’m looking at you, rushers!).


Using a hand or stand mixer, beat together the coconut milk and margarine until combined and fluffy (careful with your high-powered hand mixer; it can splash).  Sift (I’m serious) in one cup of powdered sugar and the vanilla.  Beat to combine.  Sift in the second cup of powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.  Chill, covered with plastic wrap, for at least an hour before using (using coconut margarine makes it melt pretty quickly).



Then I made carrot cake cupcakes, but I’m not satisfied with the recipe due to a weird chunks:flour ratio.  I recommend…the carrot cake recipe I haven’t posted yet even though I made the cake in September.  Well, looks like carrot cake is on my list to finalise the recipe so I can post it.

Namaste,
Q

Comments

  1. I never got to eat one of those cupcakes since I was too full from the delicious lunch. But on Sunday I helped two great-nieces make cupcakes in their Easy-Bake oven(which we later sold from their front stoop to raise money for Public School 321) and I know yours were much more desirable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale