Muffin Kick

"Muffin courier."  That's what I want my next job to be.  The muffins will be so deliciously valuable that I'll have to handcuff my Harry Potter lunchbox to my wrist.  As far as I know, this “breakfast dessert” does not kick back. 



Two weeks ago, I watched an acquaintaince of mine eating a double-chocolate muffin at Wikimania, and I thought, “I want one!”  Long time ago, I ate half a ginormous BJ’s blueberry muffin before bed, and a few hours later, I woke my mom up and babbled about there being a quarter of a muffin left in the fridge.  I wasn’t quite somnambulating, but it wasn’t exactly a conscious decision to wake her up to talk about muffins.  My mom confronted me the next morning with, “Did you wake me up and start talking about muffins last night?”  I half-denied it, and when I think about it ten years later, all I remember is the taste of the blueberry muffin.

Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Muffins
Modified from Sadowski, Laurie, “Double-Chocolate Muffins,” in The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Bread (Summertown: Book Publishing Company, 2011), 39.

2 bananas
1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk (I used original ricemilk)
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/2 cup organic sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons canola oil

1/2 cup teff flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup dairy- and gluten-free chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line a 12-well muffin pan with papers (or paper a 12-well mini-muffin pan and grease a 6-well hearts pan).

In a blender, blitz the wet ingredients until uniformly combined and no banana chunks remain.  In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.  Pour the wet into the dry and mix well.  Fold in the chocolate chips.  Divide among the muffin wells, filling almost to the top.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until they spring back when touched, a toothpick comes out clean (if it’s covered in melted chocolate, pick a different muffin to test), and they’ve flattened out on top.  Let cool in the pan for five minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely.

Voila, work-break food.

Q

Comments

  1. I've never dreamed of muffins, but if I did, these chocolate chip ones would certainly enhance the experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale