Is it still Chilli?


Part III of III on vegan and gluten-free beer

If it doesn’t have tomatoes, is it still chilli?  According to this needs-citations-article, chilli (yep, I’m using the UK spelling for a New World dish) involves tomatoes.




Beet Beer Chilli

2 tablespoons chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional, depending on the spiciness of your chi-pow)
1 bay leaf

2 large white onions, quartered
1 clove garlic, roasted
12 ounces vegan, gluten-free beer (I used Redbridge)
2 2/3 cups water

3 tablespoons cornmeal or masa (these are two different things, but they’re both thickeners)
2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled (optional), and cut into 1-inch chunks (3 medium-sized sweet potatoes)
2 cups roasted beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 6 medium-sized beets)
1 16-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained

2 cups kale, chopped

In a large saucepan over medium heat, toast the chilli powder, cayenne, and bay leaf until fragrant.  In a food processor or blender, blitz the onions, garlic, beer, and water until chopped finely.  Add this mixture to the saucepan, cover, and bring to a boil.  When it’s boiling, add the cornmeal, sweet potatoes, beets, kidney beans, and black beans.  Give it a stir, cover, and bring back to a boil.  Make sure liquid covers all the ingredients; if there’s not enough, add water.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.  Add the kale, stir, and cook for five additional minutes.  Remove from heat and serve hot with carbs of your choice.




VAMPIRE FOOD!  It looks like blood and fortified me for routine bloodwork as part of a physical last week.

I was drafting a reply to a friend’s email and wanted to ask her about a type of yoga.  Then I though I could just look up yin yoga and not ask her.  However, I want to know her experience since I think highly of her and want a personal perspective.  I’d rather ask my friends, relatives, and acquaintances than random people on the ‘nets who may be trying to sell me something.  Granted, I am writing this and I’m a Wikipedian; I believe and act towards the free dispersal of knowledge.  I’m grateful that I have knowledgeable friends, family, and acquaintances whom I can ask about a diversity of topics; for everything else…there’s Wikipedia.

Schedule for upcoming posts:

Saturday, 15 September: Salad Dressing Cake
Thursday, 20 September: Sweet Potato Enchiladas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale