Banana Nut Monkey Bread and Stained Glass Dollhouse Tour

The "recipe of the week" is another Meowlex request. I was watching the episode of Alton Brown's Good Eats where AB makes cinnamon rolls, a citrus ginger ring, and monkey bread. TC asked for monkey bread, aka: monkey brains, bubble bread, or pull apart bread.

monkey bread and glass dollhouse vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

 



I modified Laurie Sadowski's recipe from The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Bread. Though I've had the book for three years, I still haven't made everything in it, though I like all of what I've made. My high-altitude, "these are the flours in my pantry" modifications are:

  • 1 1/2 cups sorghum flour

  • 1 cup arrowroot starch

  • 1/2 cup millet flour

  • 1/2 cup almond meal

  • about 1/2 cup sticky rice flour

  • only 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

  • 1 tablespoon instead of 1 teaspoon of organic sugar in the yeast-proofing step


Everything else in the dough was the same.

  • For the coating mixture, I used 3 tablespoons of melted Earth Balance buttery spread instead of nut oil to coat the dough balls. Flavor!


 

Like Alton Brown, I let the dough have an initial 1-1.5 hour rise, shaped it, did the overnight fridge rise, and then did the steam bath to wake up the yeast before finally baking it.

The jubilee bundt pan was the best choice out of my collection of bundts (cathedral and castle had too many nooks and crannies), but the dough still kind of took on the shape of the pan during that fridge rise.

monkey bread and glass dollhouse vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

Nevertheless, TC and I ate a lot of it for brunch.

Now we're grilling.

monkey bread and glass dollhouse vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

TC's dad bought me a stained glass dollhouse! That man has "the eye" for awesome art objects. Someone must have made this by hand for plants or a grand/child. It's a little rickety, but I gave it a thorough windexing today. My wooden dollhouse is still at my parents' house, and I'm glad to have another doll receptacle here.

monkey bread and glass dollhouse vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

 

It's held together with real lead solder, so I'm a tad leery of putting anything that can't be washed inside of it.

It has two floors, with two rooms in the lower floor and a balcony on the upper floor.

 

 

monkey bread and glass dollhouse vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

There's a front door with tiny loops for hinges and a screen-printed centre panel. Lookit that rising sun transom!

glass dollhouse | gothic granola

 

There's a little greenhouse bump-out on one side.

glass dollhouse | gothic granola

 

The downstairs view: you can barely see the doorway into the second, smaller room. Hi, Monster High dolls!

glass dollhouse | gothic granola

 

The upstairs, in lovely shades of brown and green:

glass dollhouse | gothic granola

 

Playmobil, for scale:

glass dollhouse | gothic granolaAngie the Dawn doll, for scale:

monkey bread and glass dollhouse vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

 

The Dawns might end up living in the glass house. Even though it's full of light, it's creepy enough for creepy dolls.

 

 

Comments

  1. They shouldn't throw any stones in that house!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale

Grilled Leek Colcannon