National Chocolate Chip Day: Peanut Butter Blondies

National Chocolate Chip Day is another one of those made-up holidays that must have been made just for bloggers. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's been around since before the Internet since most sites about it seem to reference the original chocolate chip cookie. NCCD is 15 May, and my post is a day late. I went to see Mad Max: Fury Road on Thursday (the other day I usually blog) and didn't decide what to bake for NCCD until yesterday afternoon.

National Chocolate Chip Day vegan gluten-free | gothic granola



Fury Road, for the record, was a two-hour drive in the desert with little plot. The high point of character development for me was that Max (played by Tom Hardy) experienced these PTSD-like flashbacks, which seemed a realistic consequence of Max's desert-wandering experiences in the previous three films. Wasteland Weekend should be interesting this year because of potential new fans and probable new costumes and vehicles based on Fury Road. I'd give it three stars.

I said I would make TC ice cream cone cupcakes for NCCD but then when he saw this recipe for peanut butter chocolate chip bars over my shoulder, he requested these. The parchment quickly appeared beneath the bars when I left them on top of the toaster oven to cool, so I think they were a success! The vegan changes I made to the recipe increased the fibre and decreased the sugar and salt (yay, natural peanut butter). There are no vegan peanut butter chips, so I used chunky peanut butter (when do I not use chunky pb?).

National Chocolate Chip Day vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

[yumprint-recipe id='9'] 

 Parting shots:

Fury Road viewing at Alamo Drafthouse in Littleton, with post-apocalyptic car contest in the parking lot.

National Chocolate Chip Day vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

 

Maybe naner ice cream will make my sore throat hurt less.

Nope, but it was tasty.

 

 National Chocolate Chip Day vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

Contrary to popular belief, I do in fact eat real food (not just dessert and protein smoothies). Behold, the most self-righteous nachos, with almost all organic ingredients, and that's local Blue Moose salsa on top. Organic chips, not-organic pepperjack Daiya, organic Mexican-style tofu, organic greens, organic refried black beans, and local salsa. TC had organic, grass-fed, sustainably-raised beef in his nachos. We felt like proper Boulderites.

National Chocolate Chip Day vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

IKEA now has a $2.99 vegan plate (besides vegan meatballs, which apparently are GF). I opted for the brown rice and roasted califlower dish since I didn't know the meatballs were GF.

National Chocolate Chip Day vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

TC's comment: That looks like prison food.

Still, it was nice to have warm food at Ikea since last time I ate at said store I had an Odwalla juice and that's it.

Can't eat the duktigs!     Legos and snow | Gothic Granola

Ordered my wedding cake today at the Gluten Escape in the Denver Tech Center. Had a Pretzel Butterscotch Chocolate Chip bar to go. I'm excited for a vegan and gluten-free dessert that I didn't have to make!

National Chocolate Chip Day vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

 

Soundtrack:

"Know Your Enemy" by Rage Against the Machine effectively sums up my week.
What? The land of the free?
Whoever told you that is your enemy

Comments

  1. A bit late, but not a penny short. These #peanutbutter blondies are money. #nationalchocolatechipday http://t.co/QQxavCy3lO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! A gluten free wedding cake! You'll have to give a tiny piece to that cute little stuffed cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minapoo would love to be served cake at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale

Grilled Leek Colcannon