A Tale of Two Muffins: Strawberry Edition

More strawberries and chocolate chips this week. My harshest critic was in town and TC asked me to make him a "moist" baked good (AKA: my other father-in-law, Bandit the dog's owner).

Bandit the gluten-free French Bulldog | gothic granolaI made two kinds of the same type of muffin: strawberry. They look like strawberry buckwheat muffins, but there's only a half cup of buckwheat flour in each.

strawberry banana muffins vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

The one on the left is a banana strawberry muffin, and the one on the right is a strawberry chocolate chip muffin. Unfortunately, the ones on the left burned slightly on the bottom, so I made the ones on the right to share instead. Both involve frozen strawberries, since that's the only kind of strawberries I have (after freezing all the fresh ones). Plus, even though eating seasonal is best in order to remain in harmony with the energetics of the year, if I want strawberry muffins in January, I'm going to be using frozen strawberries, and I want a recipe that works. It's the same conundrum I had in Berry Berry Go Kickass (I love that post title). One recipe burned, and the other took significantly longer to cook. The taste is right in both of them, though, and I think the problem with the banana strawberry muffins was merely an issue of baking them for a few minutes longer than necessary. The chocolate chip ones, after learning from my first experience with frozen strawberries, had to be baked longer, and I watched them more than necessary.

A lumpy, homey muffin.

strawberry banana muffins vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

The first recipe is the Veganomicon Lower Fat Banana Bread plus blitzed frozen strawberries and years of modifications. The second recipe I quickly found on Pinterest from Averie Cooks; it was similar to the strawberry chocolate chip cake I made last week in that it also substituted some Greek yoghurt for butter, but kept baking powder as the leavening. In the interest of not cutting into my writing time, I liked the banana strawberry muffins better, and I'll give the full recipe below. Veganizing and de-glutenizing the Averie recipe was basic: coconut sugar, a full cup of nondairy buttermilk, buckwheat, coconut, and sorghum flours, and a psyllium egg substitute. If you've read this blog for a while, you'll know what to do.

 strawberry banana muffins vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

Now let's make the muffin on the left.

strawberry banana muffins vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

 

[yumprint-recipe id='16'] 

strawberry banana muffins vegan gluten-free | gothic granola 

Parting shots:

TC convinced me to try Monse's Taste of El Salvador Black Bean Pupusas this week. They were creamy and corny; I've never had pupusas so I don't have a reference, but I liked them.

strawberry banana muffins vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

I also tried the Gluten Free Bar because it was on sale. Tasted like a chocolate "healthy" bar. Nothing special here other than some apparently outstanding gluten-free-ness.

strawberry banana muffins vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

Earworms:

"Love to my Cobain" by Jeffree Star. This song has been outlawed in my household because of a bad experience my husband had when he was 19. Unfortunately, I didn't find out about this until after I had gotten this song firmly stuck in my head. Kurt Cobain was way before my time (I was three when Cobain joined the 27 club), but I do listen to Courtney Love's band Hole (I have their album Nobody's Daughter). Took me a full 24 hours to realize that the song operates around Cobain and Love's relationship as a metaphor for...something.

"Pursuit" by Gesaffelstein. TC introduced me to this song then tried to take credit for introducing me to everything new in music and entertainment I've liked since we started dating. Uh-huh. You just keep thinking that, sweetie. I like this song's harsh electronic, for lack of a better word, "scenes." The music keeps building to resolve with some sort of twist, and the (uncensored) video is just weirdly cool, all slippery and dystopian. (No, Firefox, "dystopian" is a word! Stop making "utopian" the only idealistic society adjective acceptable in your browser!)

Comments

  1. Still #strawberry-ing away over here at GG with #breakfast treats #vegan #glutenfree http://t.co/ORH7IYypms

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale

Grilled Leek Colcannon