Fig Chia Coconut Coffee Cake {Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free}

This is not a coffee cake in the sense of something that's covered in streusel. Sorry. This is a coffee cake in the sense of a cake that's not quite sweet enough for dessert but is perfect for a mid-morning or mid-afternoon caffeine break. Not sorry. I don't even drink coffee. I have no clue if this will "go" with coffee or not. Pairing sourdough with sour coffee doesn't make sense to me, but I don't make the rules, I just follow them. This is my first time participating in one of these link-ups.


#sourdoughsurprises fig chia coconut cake vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

The following fig chia coconut cake is a two-part make-ahead recipe. You'll need to feed your GF sourdough starter the night before and set aside 1/2 cup fed starter for this recipe. I made my starter based on the instructions in Jennifer Katzinger's Gluten-Free and Vegan Bread. It is 100% teff and no one who eats gluten--in my circle of friends--likes it. Only the gluten-free people appreciate it. My husband makes me light incense if I so much as open the container. By the way, I began storing it in a fermentation jar from the Bald Brewer, a 2 gallon-sized glass jar with a tiny hole in the lid. We fermented plum wine in this jar last year, but I'm not using the one-way valve since I keep the lid


#sourdoughsurprises fig chia coconut cake vegan gluten-free | gothic granola


pretty loose on my starter. The other make-ahead aspect of this recipe is chia pudding. Originally, I was going to make this recipe straight up, no sourdough. Then I remembered I wanted to do this link up, and I could substitute starter for the yoghurt because acidic tanginess. So the chia pudding started out as an egg and yoghurt substitute since I'm vegan. Chia pudding (essentially soaked chia seeds) sets up best overnight.



#sourdoughsurprises fig chia coconut cake vegan gluten-free | gothic granola
Finally, why the heck would you bake in a cast iron pan and not preheat it to get the pan-fried crust? Whyyyy? You're not aiming for a solid, crunchy crust (like cornbread), but you will get a chewy, coconutty crust. MMMMM coffee (or tea) dunkage!
#sourdoughsurprises fig chia coconut cake vegan gluten-free | gothic granola



Fig Chia Coconut Cake
Modified from Diethood
Ingredients
3/4 cup nondairy milk
1/4 cup chia seeds
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon dairy free probiotics (optional)
1 tablespoon coconut oil, solid (for pan)
1 cup Bob's Red Mill Cup for Cup Gluten-Free Baking Flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup coconut sugar, blendered to a powder
1/2 cup GF sourdough starter, fed
1/2 cup warm water
6 fresh figs, halved

Instructions
1 The night before, mix the chia seeds, nondairy milk, vanilla, and optional probiotic in a glass bowl. 2 Cover this mixture and leave in the fridge overnight to congeal.
3 Also feed your starter the night or at least 4 hours before baking this cake.
4 The next day, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
5 Place the tablespoon of solid coconut oil in the skillet and place the skillet in the oven for 10 minutes (not for the full preheat cycle).
6 Remove the skillet from the oven after 10 minutes, when the oil is melted but not sizzling.
7 Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, sift then whisk together the flour mix, baking powder, and baking soda.
8 In a blender, blitz together 1/3 of the soaked chia mixture, the melted coconut oil, the coconut sugar, and 1/2 cup warm water until uniformly combined. You want the chia seeds to be slightly obliterated, but not totally obliterated.
9 Take the pan out of the oven now if you haven't already.
10 Stir the sourdough starter into the dry mixture until it clumps up like you're making a piecrust.
11 Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir well. Watch for dry pockets. Add a little water if necessary (depends on your sourdough hydration and what kind of flour you're using).
12 Transfer the cake batter to the hot pan and spread out.
13 Arrange the figs, cut sides up, on top of the cake.
14 Bake for 28-30 minutes or until the cake passes the toothpick test, the figs are juicing, and the cake springs back to the touch.
15 Let cool for 5 minutes before serving...with coffee or tea!

Notes:
I always blitz my coconut sugar in the blender until it's powdery so that the cake doesn't have a crunchy, gritty texture.
Save the rest of the chia pudding in a sealed container in the fridge for another vegan egg substitute situation or eat for breakfast with fresh fruit.



#sourdoughsurprises fig chia coconut cake vegan gluten-free | gothic granola


I really don't like raw fresh figs. I love dried figs, and maybe it's just the fresh figs I got, but I'm not a fan. Too vegetal tasting, and that's from a vegan. Blasphemy!

Other fig things I have made:
Whiskey Fig Scones
Fig Granola
Roasted Figs, Fennel, Eggplant, and Onion

Linking to the Sourdough Surprises!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale