Fear of the Un-Scone | Whiskey Fig Banana Scones


One of my personal rules: don't give out problems unless you have solutions or suggestions!






What's my solution? A post from The Elephant Journal summarizes it nicely: responsibility. 

As a metaphysician, I believe that our thoughts create our actions create our world and experience thereof. We are always in control of how we act and react (incriminating first-person plural there, yes).

Freedom is given to those who are aware of what the fear makes them do.


What I've been telling myself lately is "Change the script." When I notice myself about to react negatively in a way I have "always" done, choosing the same old ways to react to stress and change, I tell myself to change the script. Consciously practicing awareness helps me slow down a moment before I might do something rash. I can't mitigate all my poor judgments, but I can help with some, and that's good progress.

I haven't baked in a while, so I went all-out with sourdough and whiskey. When I picked up the bottle, a third full, I wondered where it all went. Then again, with recipes like maple bourbon donuts, no wonder.

Whiskey Fig Banana Sourdough Scones
Inspired by Turnips 2 Tangerines and Food 52

1 cup dried figs, destemmed and quartered
1/2 cup GF sorghum whiskey

1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup oat flour
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup GF rolled oats

1/3 cup vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance buttery stick)

3/4 cup teff sourdough starter (fed)
2 medium bananas
1/3 cup coconut sugar 
1/4 cup soaking whiskey
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1/2 cup sliced almonds for top of scones

Place the figs in a glass bowl or container and pour the whiskey on top. Let soak for an hour or two. Drain the figs and reserve 1/4 cup soaking whiskey. Save the rest for another use or drink it.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat.

In a large bowl, sift together the flours, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder.  Stir in the oats. With a pastry blender or potato masher, cut in the margarine until the mixture forms pea-sized clumps.

In another bowl, mix the starter, bananas, sugar, whiskey, flaxseed, and vanilla. Mash with the same potato masher until the bananas are mostly moosh.  Add wet to dry and stir until just combined.

While the original recommends kneading, I say bypass that step. I tried, and my scones instead became all dry and more dry. Drop 'em and shape 'em (size is your preference; I made the typical 8 massive triangles). Top with the sliced almonds.

Bake for 18-22 minutes or until they spring back when touched in the centre.  Cool on the pan for five minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.

Make a little glaze if you like (organic powdered sugar + cinnamon + a little hot water to make desired consistency).


Parting Shots:

Protein Party, Part 1: Cookie Dough Dip with vodka-soaked raisins


Goth Loli selfie before the Skinny Puppy concert in Silver Spring.



Protein Party, Part 2: Raw cookie dough from Tuja Wellness, frozen into bar format and studded with cacao nibs. It's mostly almond butter.


Ownie Mom's 9-square quilt, which is the cool colours version of the quilt on my bed, makes a warm meditation blanket.
Ciao,
Q

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale