Work to Capacity | Article Review

And not over it all the blessed time. 



Bunch of articles to review this week, folks.

Long-range, big-picture thinking is an attribute some employers prize in employees. Besides being valuable for planning effectively and acting strategically, such a mindset also helps people better self-regulate. What I particularly took away feom this article was the last bit about prioritizing sleep/rest/turning off if what you're doing is not going to matter in ten years.

Another list, which may indicate you need to see list no. 1.

CTFO, mate. I am guilty of all of the things on this list. I used to do homework during family events. Now I overeat and isolate, but that is another probably related issue, some kind of workaholism.

Healthy eating and living taking precedence at home is all well and good and I endorse this. Healthy eating without sufficient education (label-reading, why it's important, et cetera) can sometimes have the negative backlash effect of kids eating all the junk foods once let off the leash.

No shit. My depression hit before, during, and then just dropped off the cliff after senior year of high school, a year when I averaged about 5 hours a night. When I did the same nonsense this past six months, I got the same results. Hence, article number one. Sleep helps the body repair tissues, for one. For two, dreams influence my decisions, and making sure I have sufficient time and depth of sleep to dream makes me a better decison-maker. 


The following article examines why teens are so stressed. Given that my teen years were only four years ago (I'm 23), I am not surprised. A five on the AP Biology exam got me out of one lab course at Princeton. The AP courses prepared me for workload and intensity of a college course, but otherwise they had little added value. The rest of my AP credits did not carry over to PU. Point being, the elite universities want to see you slave away in high school, but they're not going to give you a fair return for your blood, sweat, and tears. Higher education can be such a cruel, sick, twisted, albeit necessary, game for getting ahead in the business world.

Something for the stress: treadmill.


Best line: 
Movie, music, or meditation. Plan a walk or run for sweat and enjoyment. Focus your mind on artsy things and allow your body to run without you in full control all the time.

Focus on artsy things! How rich! I used to work on my novel and poetry while I ran on the treadmill after school my junior and senior years of high school. Runner's high helped me deal with the stress. Walking or biking after work now does the same.

What am I doing here? I'm releasing the negative in order to make room for the positive.

Parting shots:
City of Rockville shuts down in snow.


TC drew a Nosferatu on the table when we went to the only place that seemed to be open in Rockville: Macaroni Grill.



Macaroni Grill does GF pasta: corn penne, broccoli raab, roasted red peppers, roasted 'shrooms, and a piece of wheat spaghetti that slipped in there. >_< #zeroproteinmeals


TC calls my food "mysterious." Videre licet, mysterious concoctions I ate for breakfast...


...and lunch.



The basic format for "Q's mystery bowl" is nondairy milk, defrosted berries, nuts/nut butter, chia seeds, fruit/greens (kiwi and Rotkohl, respectively), and spices (cinnamon). I am deliciously weird. That is my affirmation and I'm sticking to it!

St. Valentine's Day breakfast #1: Tuja Wellness raw cookie dough and ground flaxseed under banana-lemon vice cream.




Skull and crossbones heart socks from my fashion-forward aunt



Wore an Ownie Mom original from my brocade phase: black brocade with red roses jacket. TC made me dinner (tofu fajitas) and dessert (chocolate-dipped fruit) for V-Day.

Fin! Chillin' out on this snowy Saturday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale