G-Fr33 | Mug Cake

"What really happens to you if you eat gluten, though?"

Women's Health Magazine has this most enlightening article for all the new faux paus committed around the GF-ers. Actually, saying these things to anyone who has allergies ("I tried soy nut butter once and it was disgusting!" to a peanut allergic person) is rude. Not to be all high and mighty, but a little education goes a long way towards creating a better dining (and kissing) situation.

That being said, eating gluten-free and eating more whole foods (the two generally go together) involves a palate adjustment, visually and physically. TC rightly called me out on using being GF as an excuse to eat even weirder foods.



Green juice and overnight oatmeal, anyone?

This week's recipe is hardly strange to anyone in the fitness community: mug cake. Made of protein powder, grain-free flour (technically "meal"), and egg substitute, the microwaved soft "cake" is a miracle of modern science.

When shakes are a little too cold for you, and you don't want a protein bar, the semisolid mug cake does the trick.


Version 1: Just protein powder, apple butter, and water (I worked with what was available) microwaved for a minute.




Version 2: Traditional, recipe to follow.


Mug Cake
Recipe adapted from a bajillion and one "fitfam" Instagram accounts, which makes it common knowledge, right?

1 scoop protein powder (I used Marley Coffee Rawmeal)
1 tablespoon almond meal
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1 tablespoon Dutch-process cocoa (optional, for the chocolate version)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum

1/3 cup water

To make this to travel, I mixed all the dry ingredients and placed them in an airtight container. To assemble: place mixed dry ingredients in a microwave-safe mug. Add water and stir until reconstituted and the consistency is that of thick pudding.  Microwave for 1-2 minutes (depending on your microwave's power). Either decant onto a plate or eat out of the mug.

Sauces, sprinkles, fresh fruit, et cetera are at your discretion to add. I made this as a snack at work. Nota bene that I am not a microwave fan (and I'm not just bitter because I don't own one). Rather, I don't like the crazy, excited energy that it imparts to my food. You are what you eat, and since I'm trying to be grounded and stable, I've increased my intake of root veggies (grounding) and I steam or roast them (slower, calmer energy). Energetics of food--try eating in ways which are energetically aligned with how you want to be and see what it does for you.


Parting shots:
The owl is watching you.




Back to protein shakes and the 5 meals a day plan.
Breakfast is green juice (apple, greens, ginger) and overnight oats (rolled oats, water, ground flaxseed, nut butter).


Mid -morning snack is protein powder and non-dairy milk.



Lunch is protein (cookie dough dip), a little grain (kasha), veggies, dried fruit, and sriracha.




Mid-afternoon snack is another shake (maca magick, which I made with too much stevia).

Dinner one night was a salad and hommos from Shawafel on H Street. Dessert was mint chocolate chip vice cream by So Delicious since it was National Chocolate Mint Day on Wednesday.



 Repeat!


I tried my hand at another fitfam ("Fitness Family") standby, protein pancakes. I used the too-sweet maca magick shake as a base, with coconut shreds and coconut flour for more substance.




Looks innocent and green (hemp protein powder is very green) enough.


Unfortunately, they all burned like crazy on the bottom. Most of my pancakes turn out burny, and I eat them as long as they are not complete char. Must be my technique. With Fat Tuesday coming, gotta practice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale