Lemon Tiramisu with Limoncello

Mmm, this dessert made me realise how much I miss bread pudding-type desserts! I haven't made any "pain perdu" situations in a while because I have rarely had leftover baked goods, if TC has had any say.

Limoncello Tiramisu vegan gluten free | gothic granola

Father-in-law gave me two small bottles of Limoncello and said to make something. TC presented it to me as an Iron Chef Challenge. Evaluating what we had on hand, I quickly made a batch of vanilla cupcakes and set some cashews to soaking. Lemon Tiramisu it would be!

Basically, vegan tiramisu is not nearly as fancy as regular tiramisu. I made vanilla cupcakes, soaked them in liquor, and then layered them in lemon cashew-tofu cream. While I don't drink alcohol, I don't have a problem cooking with it. I ran out of limoncello after one layer of cupcakes, and so I used triple sec (orange-flavored) to soak the rest of the cakes. It's probably not vegan, but since it's made from fermented citrus peels, it's GF. Psst...check Barnivore for the scoop on vegan booze.



I call my cashew cream "fortified" since it isn't true raw cashew cream; I added silken tofu to bulk it up without adding a ridiculous amount of fat that pure cashews would otherwise have.

To make this straightedge, soak the cakes in lemon tea or lemonade (ginger-lemon kombucha, anyone?)

Lemon Tiramisu with Limoncello

Cake:

1 batch (12) vegan, gluten-free vanilla cupcakes of choice.

[Note: I used Gluten-free Goddess' cupcakes recipe, with a mix of sorghum, coconut and tapioca flours; reduced to 3/4 cup coconut sugar; increased to 1/4 cup coconut oil, psyllium husk vegan egg substitute, baked for 18 minutes at high altitude]

Soaking Liquid:

1 cup lemon/citrus liquor of choice

Fortified Cashew Cream:

  • 2/3 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked for 4 hours and drained

  • 14 ounces silken tofu

  • 1/2 cup raw honey, agave, or maple syrup, or even soaked dates (your preference)

  • juice of 1 lemon (3-4 tablespoons)

  • zest of 1 lemon

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla


Blitz the crap out of everything in a high speed blender or food processor until smooth. Chill for two hours before assembling everything.

Decoration:

Zest of one lemon for the top

Assembly:

Once your cupcakes are made and cooled, and the cashew cream is chilled...

Cut the cupcakes in half width-wise, to make the stumps and tops.

limoncello tiramisu vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

Line a 12-inch springform pan with parchment paper (I had to make do with foil, but I recommend parchment).

Spread a layer of cashew cream (about 1/3 of the batch) on the bottom of the pan.

limoncello tiramisu vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

Dip the cupcake halves in liquor, then fill in the layer with cupcake rounds.

limoncello tiramisu vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

Cover with another third of the cream.

limoncello tiramisu vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

Soak the rest of the cupcake halves and fill in another layer.

limoncello tiramisu vegan gluten-free | gothic granolaCover with the rest of the cream, dust with lemon zest, and chill!

limoncello tiramisu vegan gluten-free | gothic granolaMmm, tiramisu.

limoncello tiramisu vegan gluten-free | gothic granola

I also made another dessert this weekend: berry tarts with almond crust!

berry tarts with almond crust vegan gluten-free | gothic granolaRecipe forthcoming. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Enjoy this #summery dessert with a twist of #lemon: limoncello tiramisu #vegan #glutenfree http://t.co/aYFiQfqHBX

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] International recognition for my limoncello tiramisu! See here for the I Tre Mercanti daily paper with the mention of my blog. Follow GothicGranola and […]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts responsibly.

Popular posts from this blog

Ave Atque Vale

Grilled Leek Colcannon